StaffConnections to Resources
Professional Learning Modules
This series is the product of collaborative efforts between the California Department of Education and content and professional learning experts throughout California to help educators transition to the Common Core State Standards.
VideosCCSS IntroductionOverview of the Common Core State Standards for California Educators CCSS MathematicsK-12 Standards for Mathematical Practice CCSS MathematicsK-8 Learning Progressions CCSS English/Language ArtsReading Informational Text CCSS English/Language ArtsWriting to Inform, Argue, and Analyze CCSS English/Language ArtsContent Literacy for Technical Subjects CCSS English/Language ArtsContent Literacy in History/Social Studies K–5 CCSS Assessment Literacy
English Language Arts Resources
2014 Revision of the English Language Arts/English Language Development Framework. Information about the revision of the English Language Arts/English Language Development (ELA/ELD) Framework to align with the CCSS.
- Overview of the California English Language Development Standards and Proficiency Level Descriptors
- Lexile Framework for Reading : Common Core curriculum mapping samples sponsored by the Ford Foundation.
- EngageNY is an evolving, collaborative platform for educators. This is a resource site for getting started with the shifts to the Common Core.
- The Hunt Institute offers a series of excellent videos on various topics of the Common Core State Standards.
- Introduction to Common Core State Standards
- The English Language Arts Standards: Development Principles
- ELA Standards: Writing to Inform and Make Arguments
- ELA Standards: Literary Non-Fiction, Part 1
- ELA Standards: Literary Non-Fiction, Part 2
- ELA Standards: Literacy in the Other Disciplines
- The Mathematics Standards: Guiding Principles
- The Importance of Mathematical Practice
- The Teaching Channel offers short videos that introduce the Common Core Standards for elementary, middle, and high school levels.
English Learners Resources
English Language Development Standards Information about the update, revision, and alignment of the state's current English Language Development (ELD) standards to the CCSS for ELA.
- Common Core Standards Challenge for ELLs These papers, presented at the Understanding Language Conference in January 2012, address language and literacy issues found in the Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards. View here.
- Preparing All Teachers to Meet the Needs of English Language Learners Applying research to policy and practice for teacher effectiveness.
- Understanding Language: An initiative aimed to heighten educator awareness of the critical role that language plays in the CCSS and the Next Generation Science Standards. The initiative seeks to improve academic outcomes for English Language Learners (ELLs) by drawing attention to critical aspects of instructional practice and by advocating for necessary policy supports at the state and local levels. The initiative team, housed at Stanford University, has developed and presented papers and webinars addressing language and literacy issues, and is developing sets of teaching resources that exemplify high-quality instruction for ELLs.
- K-8 Publishers' Criteria for the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics
- The Illustrative Mathematics Project provides guidance to curriculum developers by illustrating the range and types of mathematical work that students will experience in a faithful implementation of the Common Core State Standards.
- Tools for the Common Core is a website focusing on tools that are being developed to support the implementation of the CCSS. Here you can find that math progressions.
- Math Reasoning Inventory is an online formative assessment tool aligned with the Common Core State Standards, focusing on number and operations prior to sixth grade.
- Inside Mathematics aligns the resources of its site with the national standards for mathematical practice. The first phase of this alignment to the Common Core Standards uses our video resources to illustrate the Common Core Standards for mathematical practice.
- The Mathematics Common Core Coalition works to provide expertise and advice on issues related to the effective implementation of the Common Core State Standards for mathematics.
- The Leadership in Mathematics Education was initiated at the request of the Council of Chief State School Officers and is developing tools for assessing the potential of curriculum materials to support students' attainment of the Common Core State Standards, including standards for mathematical practices.
Apps for your iPad/Mobile Device
- eStandards allows you to access the California Common Core Standards for both K-12 English Language Arts and Mathematics.
- CommonCore App by Mastery Connect is a great reference for students, parents, and teachers to easily read and understand the core standards. Quickly find standards by subject, grade, and subject category (domain/cluster). This app includes both K-12 Math and English Language Arts Standards.